Thursday, October 12, 2006

Salteñas...







Monday 9 October 2006,

When in Cochabamba, do as the Cochabambinos do, and eat salteñas. . .

Apparently, empanadas are known by a wide variety of regional names... In Bolivia, they are called salteñas (apparently after an Argentine province bordering the country to the south). We had three choices when ordering : sweet chicken, spicy meat, or spicy chicken. They usually contain potatoes, peas and carrots and here in Bolivia the filling is liquidy like a stew. According to locals, the person to make the most mess must pay for everyone at the table...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empanada#Bolivia

6 comments:

Eric said...

Mmmmmmmmm.... empanadas..... (or whatever they may be called)

Daniela said...

Me too! I love empanadas!!! I would be in big trouble since I always make a big ol' mess when I eat or drink anything...

Anonymous said...

What? You tell us that and then don't confess which one of you made the bigger mess?

leigh said...

rachel, of course i won...andrew made a big mess and paid for the meal! (leigh)

Anonymous said...

You know, I can't believe that Andrew didn't lick his plate clean and get out of paying. I might have licked my plate clean and paid! xoxox.. Carrie

Anonymous said...

MEAT PIES!!!!!!!!